Thursday, June 19, 2014

The final countdown!

Well, it's official. My teammates and I are in the final stretch before we head off to Haiti in just FOUR days! It's unbelievable how quickly time has moved since I first decided to go on the trip, and I am so excited for the opportunities we are going to have with the Haitian people! I am partially packed, just need to do some more laundry and pack my snacks (the most important part, obviously!). There are a few things that I would greatly appreciate prayer for!

  • I am traveling alone, and while I have done this before, I have never left the country by myself. It is a bit of a daunting prospect, especially flying into an airport in a country that is so impoverished and also speaks a language that I have never been around. Plus, I am flying in and out of Miami and I HATE. That particular airport because it has always been very confusing to me. Prayers for safe travels, and not missing any connections, finding my teammates once we get to Haiti, etc. are coveted. 
  • Unity with the team! I have never met these people before, and most of them are already friends/know one another because they mostly live in the same area or have gone on trips together before. I am praying for friendships and deep meaningful connections! 
  • Lastly, this one is more on the physical side, and is a big concern for me. I have always been able to (somewhat) graciously trek through even the longest and most tedious days on missions trips, but it has been four years since the last time I went overseas on a service oriented trip. Please pray for strength, energy, health, and also for me to not be in too much physical pain. I often have trouble sleeping due to shoulder, neck, back, etc. pain just at home in my super comfortable bed. I am sleeping on a glorified pool float/lounge on what will most likely be a concrete floor, and our transportation is going to be in something called a taptap which is basically a pickup truck with wooden seats in the bed. 
That is about it, folks! I am so excited for this trip, and I am gonna have to be up at 3 AM on monday morning to leave for the airport. If I could have prayers for that too, that would be great! I love you all and can't wait to share tons of amazing stories and pictures from my time in the orphanages and villages! 
God Bless,
Hannah Ameling 

No comments: